I for one am constantly trying to create a healthy work-life balance in my own life. Between owning my own business, taking care of my kids and managing the home and honoring my own self-care needs, it becomes a shuffling act:) Not that I am complaining, because I wouldn’t have it any other way. I LOVE working for myself and doing what I love. This is definitely the price worth paying! I work with clients all over the country who struggle with this and it affects their health, their level of happiness and their focus. It can be very stressful trying to be everything to everyone. It takes a toll on your emotional. physical and mental health. Here are some things that have helped me over the years:
- Lose the alerts- Constant interruptions via your phone or your computer waste so much time and productivity. If you really need to get something done, put your phone away or close the tabs on your computer. I know personally how distracting it can be to see Facebook updates or a text come in when I am on a deadline. It really adds time to my goal. If you can focus on the task at hand you will get it done so much quicker which will allow more time for other things.
- Work out!- Yes working out daily will give you the energy to tackle all your to-do’s while boosting your mood and clearing your mind. It really does support you to balance everything with a little more ease. Even if it is just a walk around the neighborhood, it will feel great to get away from everything.
- Set goals like a budget- Just like a budget, you either have limited money or limited time so you need to use it wisely. Make sure you create goals that align with your values and prioritize your time. Use a weekly calendar and make sure to carve out time for things that really matter.
- Learn to say “no”- This is HUGE for work-life balance. You simply can’t say “yes” to every request that comes your way. This will lead to exhaustion and overwhelm. It is OK to say “no” to requests that do not align with your values or requests that you know you won’t have time for. By saving the “yes” for things you really want to pursue they will add more value and enrich your life.
- Prioritize your sleep- So many people are sleep deprived and then they wonder why they can’t juggle everything:) Make sure you go to bed at a decent time and keep all technology out of your bedroom. You don’t need it! I promise it will be there when you wake up the next morning:) Do something calming before bed like take a hot bath, journal, listen to music or read a good book. This will calm you physically and mentally and you will be more productive and rested the next day.